Home Image-Pro General Discussions
Options

memory allocation error for 9MB image

Trying to import a 9MB jpeg file and I get the error "ïmage frame storage requries too much memory". I went into options and increased the memory and still got the same error. Please advise.

Best Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    JPEG images can be highly compressed, so even if the file size is small (9MB), the image size (in pixels and in required RAM) can be huge. The maximum size of loaded single-frame image depends on the size of available RAM.
    I assume you use 64-bit Premier. How much RAM do you have? Do you know the pixel size of the image you want to load?

Another possibility for the error is that the image file is corrupted.

Regards,

Yuri
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    One thing to consider when opening image is that the memory requirements can be calculated using the following formula:
    Memory required (in bits) = Pixel count in X x Pixel count in Y x Bit Depth

This means that an image of 2500x2000 pixels in 24bit colour will require 120Mb, or 15MB of memory. Note that this calculation is independent of file format and that as Yuri said, JPEG images can be compressed to reduce file size but the amount of memory required to open the image is unaffected.

You can also estimate the amount of memory required based on the megapixel count of your sensor. If you use a 1.5 megapixel sensor you'll need 1.5MB of memory to open the image. If you're imaging in colour you need to multiply this by three. If your image is 12bit you'l need to multiply it by 1.5, and 16bit multiplies by 2. 
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Also, bear in mind that most image processing requires twice as much memory at least as the image itself does because you need to be able to hold the image and the results of the operation.