Home Image-Pro Plus General Discussions
Options

Measuring mitochondrial distribution around the nucleus

Hello. I am a new (and completely inexperienced) user of image-pro plus (version 6.2). My project involves measurement of perinuclear clustering of mitochondria in response to a drug treatment. For that type of analysis I need to draw concentric circles from the edges of the nuclei and measure the intensity of a mitochondrial staining (usually Mitotracker) within these circles. The increase of the diameter of these circles should be known (e.g. 5 μM). I tried many other softwares for this kind of measurement but unfortunately with no luck. Then a friend from a different lab suggested that they have image-pro on one of their computers and I should use it but unfortunately he cannot help me because he hasn't done that kind of analysis. Therefore, I was wondering whether it is possible to get some step by step help on the issue. If someone can help me I will really appreciate it. 

Thank you in advance for your time.

Answers

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Hi,

Here is the link to the forum's topic that describes using Distance map to create rings from given object: http://forums.mediacy.com/discussion/comment/927/#Comment_927

The link is related to Image-Pro Premier programming, but the same idea can be used in Image-Pro Plus, which also has tools to create distance maps. You can invert mask of your object (nuclei) and create distance map of background, that will allow you creating rings with given distance to the nuclei border.

Regards,

Yuri

• Options
    Thank you Yuri. I will have a look at it later today. Hopefully it will work. If not I will post again. 

Thank you very much for your help.