Home Image-Pro General Discussions

calibration

our image source is NOT directly from a camera, but from a saved image/picture.

However, every time I open a NEW picture, I need to recalibrate; Is there a way to have ONE calibration for ALL newly opened pictures? 

Best Answer

• Answer ✓
    Hi Rony,

Calibration is not automatically assigned to new images, you have to apply it from the UI or by macro.
    You can set any of the calibrations as System Calibration and apply it by clicking the Apply button next to Calibration combo in Characteristics group (you have to make Calibration control visible in the options: Application page, Display group).
    It's also possible to assign calibration by macro.

If you save calibrated image to TIF format, the calibration will be loaded correctly when you open it again.

Regards,

Yuri

Answers

• Yuri, I am have having a similar issue.  I am trying to automate particle size on some SEM images, and can't get the macro to work on a new image, even when I record opening an applying a saved calibration into the macro.

Whenever I load an image into Image-Pro, the calibration appears imported, but not in the unit I want to use, it defaults for micrometers but I want nanometers.  If I try to apply dark segmentation on a freshly opened image it does nothing.  If I simply change the micrometers to nanometers, the segmentation works just fine.  If I change the nanometers back to micrometers, it works just fine.  Whenever i try to record this process, changing the units to nanometers, or loading a calibration and applying, it doesnt appear to work, which is keeping me from successfully running this macro as a batch.

Is there a way to apply a calibration in the units that I want into the macro?  Currently I have to open each image individually, manually change the units to nanometers, then run the macro one image at a time.
  • jwkemling, I don't quite understand what the problem is and how calibration can affect smart segmentation (it should not).
    Can you please provide some more details? I want to have a sample image, measurement options (iqo file) and calibration file. You can zip them and attach to the post.

Thanks,

Yuri

• Yuri, sorry it segments properly but nothing happens when I press count unless I change the calibration units from micrometers to nanometers.  I have attached the files you requested.  I am using Premier 9.3 64-bit.
  • Ok, I checked the files and can see what the problem is. Your options file contain filter ranges for Diameter(mean), which are in calibrated units (5.75...39.64)

So if you have wrong calibration , no calibration or wrong units your objects are outside of the ranges and you have no counted objects as the result.

Also, I don't know when you apply the calibration in your batch macro, before or after the Count. If you have filter ranges you have to apply calibration before the count. (the image file itself doesn't have calibration)

If you always use the same calibration and don't want to assign it manually or by a macro, I've attached a small project that attaches System Calibration to any new or loaded image automatically (if the image doesn't have calibration). What you need to do is just load the project to Premier,
    set the desired calibration as System Calibration in the Characteristics combo-box:
    In my first respond I explained how to make this combo-box visible  (you have to make Calibration control visible in the options: Application page, Display group).

and then load any image. This calibration will be applied to the image. You can see image calibration in the status bar:

Then you can do Count.

Hope it will work for you.

Regards,

Yuri

• Ok, I checked the files and can see what the problem is. Your options file contain filter ranges for Diameter(mean), which are in calibrated units (5.75...39.64)

So if you have wrong calibration , no calibration or wrong units your objects are outside of the ranges and you have no counted objects as the result.

Also, I don't know when you apply the calibration in your batch macro, before or after the Count. If you have filter ranges you have to apply calibration before the count. (the image file itself doesn't have calibration)

If you always use the same calibration and don't want to assign it manually or by a macro, I've attached a small project that attaches System Calibration to any new or loaded image automatically (if the image doesn't have calibration). What you need to do is just load the project to Premier,
    set the desired calibration as System Calibration in the Characteristics combo-box:
    In my first respond I explained how to make this combo-box visible  (you have to make Calibration control visible in the options: Application page, Display group).

and then load any image. This calibration will be applied to the image. You can see image calibration in the status bar:

Then you can do Count.

Regards,

Yuri

Then you can do Count.

Regards,

Yuri

• Yuri,

So I was able to get this to work.  I was trying to apply the calibration from the spatial calibration options window, and apparently that "apply" button doesn't record into the macro workflow.  Using the green check box in the spatial calibration ribbon item from your image above did record to the macro, and now the calibration gets applied to every new image when running the macro.

Thank you for all of your help!