Home Image-Pro General Discussions
Options

USB 3.0 ports no longer work

I have installed the latest version of IPP on two Dell systems, a portable workstation and a desktop T7810

Even though my device manager thinks USB3.0 ports work they do NOT.

My Infinity3 camera acts like it is plugged into a USB2 port (requires a poser supply although camera is supposed to draw power from the USB3 port); several other devices which expect a 3.0 port (superspeed) give me an error message that the device could run faster if plugged into a 3.0port (which it is).  this occurs on all ports, with several 3.0 cables (with the blue clip inside the connector)

All drivers are latest things Dell suggests

Anyone else have this problem, or have had success with a Dell M6800 or T7810

:-(

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓

Hi,

There are known issues with Intel motherboard chipsets that implement "hybrid" USB2/3 ports and operating some USB cameras. It appears to be incompatibility between the Intel USB implementation and the USB chip used in the camera. In fact, I have a Dell T5810 that has this issue, even USB2 cameras will have strange problems that do not occur with "true" USB2 ports. In order to work with these cameras, I have USB2 and USB3 PCIe boards that work well. However, this would not solve the issue for the laptop.

One thing, even though you are required to use the power supply with the USB3 port, do you still get the faster data rate? It may be the USB3 port is not providing the spec'd power, but is otherwise operating well with the camera. The laptop would be especially suspect of not providing full power, but may still be able to work well with an externally powered camera.

I can also check with Lumenera to see if they have any suggestions.

Answers

• Options

More information from Lumenera:

They report that the camera should be drawing power from the USB3.0 port.  This is not the case for any of the INFINITY3-3, 3-6, or 3S-1UR camera models.  With the latest firmware and FPGA, all of the INFINITY3 cameras can operate at USB2.0 performance if the external power is not connected, so this may explain why the warning is being presented.  With power connected, the camera will operate at USB 3.0 performance.  This leads me to consider another possibility… if the 5V power adapter is unable to provide sufficient current (ie. perhaps it is faulty or is simply not working), then the camera would only operate at USB 2.0 speeds.

My suggestion would be to test the camera by connecting it to a different PC or laptop.  The INFINITY software must be installed to get the device drivers to be loaded, but there is no license fee for the INFINITY CAPTURE software, so it can be placed on any computer.  If the customer has a laptop or other PC with USB 3.0 ports, then it should be quite easy to confirm whether the issue is related to the Dell or not.  If the camera fials to run at USB 3.0 speeds on another computer (with the power connected), then it may be that the power adapter needs replacing.