Home Image-Pro General Discussions

How do I turn a segmentation into a measurement object?

I used the "dark" segmentation button to select hair in a tress image. I would like to measure the hair as one object while selected with that segmentation. I used the polygon tool to draw an roi and turned it into a measurement tool, but doesn't seem as accurate selection as the dark segmentation. When I fill holes and use the count tool, it counts 126 objects. Using the sum of the measurements of the count objects doesn't always makes sense when looking at the measurements and types.

Answers

• Kristi,

Can you please post some screenshots, so we can better understand your issue?

Yuri
  • Kristi,

If I understand correctly you are happy with auto dark segmentation, but it produces a lot of objects (instead of 1), right? If yes, there are different ways to handle this problem. The "Fill holes" options should be on, as you already have.

1. You can use filter ranges by Area and filter out all small objects, so you will end up with only one object.
    2. Apply some morpho filters that will close holes between hairs: Erode or Open.
    3. Use Smart segmentation that uses Morpho channels, it will apply them automatically.

Another issue is the background, if you can control experiment, I would recommend using mono background (white), without any grid lines, to make segmentation easier.

Yuri
  • edited May 2017
    2017-05-03-162333

Kristi --

Working with the EXAMPLE IMAGES that you provided was difficult for two reasons.  The GRID LINES are an issue as YURI mentioned.  The FEATURE OVERLAY from PREMIER is also an issue because we cannot start with an ORIGINAL IMAGE.

For that reason, I have found a similar image on the INTERNET and worked with it.

Please see below.

I hope this information is helpful.

-- Matt

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

A = ORIGINAL IMAGE with FLATTEN BACKGROUND
    B = AUTO DARK THRESHOLD + COUNT + MASK on A with FILL HOLES = ON
    C = AUTO BRIGHT THRESHOLD + COUNT + MASK on A with an ROI from B and with FILL HOLES = off
    D = B colored GREEN and C colored RED and OVERLAID
    LEFT DATA TABLE from B
    RIGHT DATA TABLE from C
    BOTTOM DATA TABLE from EXCEL

Please note that a DEMONSTRATION CALIBRATION was applied to these images with
    1 pix = 1 mm.