Home Image-Pro General Discussions
Options

which 3D file format IPP support to open and measure?

Hi,

Which 3D file format IPP support to open and measure? i tried PLY and txt, but it seems fail to open...

Best,
Louis

Answers

• Options
    Hi Louis,

Image-Pro creates 3D views and measurements from any multi-frame image files (TIFF, AVI,MP4,...). You just load them to Image-Pro, activate 3D view, and then use "Add Volume Measurements" or "Add Iso-surface" buttons to segment and measure 3D objects.

You can also load external objects in STL, WRL or IV formats using the "Add external objects" button in the 3D view panel.

Yuri
  • Options
    Hi Yuri

Thank you very much for your always warmly help! 

I can't find 3D view panel....   could you kindly help to show me where it is..? 

Thanks a lot
    Louis
  • Options
    Hi Louis,

3D panel is shown on the right side of 3D view window, when you open an image in 3D view:

Note, that you must have "3D Measure and Analyze" license to have this functionality.

Yuri
  • Options
    Hi Yuri,

I just tried this. It seems it is used to measure 3D models generated by 2D images sequence as you mentioned. Is there any way to measure 3D model directly. why i am asking is because i try to measure wrinkle on skin, and the 3D file is obtained directly from 3D scanner. what can i do?

Thanks a lot!
    Louis
  • Options
    Hi Louis,

If it's a scan of a skin wrinkle, than it might not be a real 3D volume, but rather a surface map (with height values per pixel). In that case the analysis can be done using line profile tools or Surface Plot view of Image-Pro (if the image can be loaded as a height map).
    What file formats can that 3D scanner generate?

Yuri
  • Options
    Hi Yuri,

it seems can generate below format. Could you kindly check does it work? Thanks a lot

BR,
    Louis
  • Options
    Hi Louis,

It looks like all file formats in that list are "point cloud" formats that contain XYZ coordinates of every scan point. 
    Image-Pro supports "raster" file formats (TIF, JPEG, BMP, RAW,...), where intensity/color/height values are arranged in raster matrix. 

I googled and can see that there are converters that can convert point cloud files to raster. I don't know if you have access to these tools, but that would be a path to import point cloud files to Image-Pro and then use Surface Plot and Line profile tools to analyze surface parameters.

Yuri