Home Image-Pro General Discussions

Are we able to measure across surface plot to measure grooves? Or display surface plot in um instead

I want to measure the depth of my groove but i cannot measure across the plot. 
Line profile also only provides distance and not depth. 
Or anyone knows how to change legend of surface plot to um/nm instead of intensity?

Best Answer

• Answer ✓
    Hi Serene,

Regarding if the intensity is real depth: it depends on how the images were acquired. If you used an Atomic Force Microscope (AMF) where intensity of pixels define the depth or you created a Topo map from a through-focus sequence using the EDF tool, then the pixel values is the real depth. But if you just used a bright-field image, then no, intensity doesn't correspond to depth, it's just pixel brightness that is defined by illumination and material properties.

Yuri

Answers

• edited August 27
    Hi Serene,

If the depth is represented by intensity on your images, you can use Intensity calibration to measure the depth. (Capture tab, Calibration options dropdown). Create a new intensity calibration and set units to µm. The surface plot and line profile will show the depth in calibrated units:

You can also show the pixel values in calibrated units in the status bar by activating this option:

Regards,

Yuri
  • Hi Yuri, 

Thank you for the response! 
    But I still cannot get the depth in um. Can you help to see what i did wrong? 

• Hi Serene,

I don't see anything what could be wrong on your screenshot. The units should be shown on Z axis. Do you see units on Line profile graph? Maybe it's a refresh issue. 
    Try applying the intensity calibration and then showing the surface plot.

Yuri
  • Hi Yuri, 

I closed it and refreshed the surface plot but it still does not reflect the unit. 
    The line profile does show though. 

But is the intensity threshold = real depth in um? or it's just the unit being shown? 
    Kindly help. 

Serene