Home Image-Pro General Discussions
Options

Large image tools - crop does not work?

Hi,

I am just starting with IPP and I am still using the demo version. My USB key should arrive by next week.

I am trying to work with virtual slides using the "very large image" function. Unfortunately, it does not seem to work.

I am using the sample image "39886.svs". I can open the image without a problem. There is a noticeable lag when I am dragging the image around, but the speed is still acceptable.

Then, I am trying to crop a part of the image to be able to use the full set of analysis tools. To do this, I go to the Select menu and choose "select ROI rectangle tool" and use the mouse to define a ROI in the large image. The on-image toolbar reacts to this and immediately displays the size of the cropped area in MB. However, when I next press the "extract" button in the on-image toolbar, nothing happens. I also tried the Crop Icon in the ribbon toolbar in the "Large image tools" - also without luck.

I am using the latest version of IPP (i.e., 9.1.1. build 5332) on windows 7 professional 64bit. I have two different PCs:

1. Haswell Core i7, SSD HD, 16 GB RAM
2. Xeon 8-core (2x 5640), 24 GB RAM, conventional HDD

I have tried it on both, but obtained the same results.

What do I do wrong? Working with large images is absolutely essential for my research.

Best regards,

Arnulf Mayer, University Medical Center Mainz, Germany

Answers

• Options

Hi,

We are also suffering from this problem, we've recently installed surveyor and IPP to produce large tiled images that we can process in IPP. After acquiring a mosaic big tiff file using surveyor we open them in IPP and the large image tools tab appears, we select an ROI and try to crop it but nothing happens.

Regards,

Alex Raven, SCRM, University of Edinburgh

• Options

Hi Alex,

the problem has been solved in the meantime. Please contact VernR from the Media Cybernetics Support. They were very helpful and wrote a macro to solve the problem. It will also be fixed in the software code in the next update.

Kind regards,

Arnulf

• Options

Alex,

I will send you the macro to the email address in your profile.

• Options

This only happens on systems with over 8GB of RAM.  It has to do with the image memory usage limit handling.

It is corrected in update 9.1.2

Until the update is available, below is a macro that will allow you to set the limit anywhere from 2% to 95% of usable physical memory.  In a machine with 48GB of memory, setting the value to 5% would give a memory limit similar to the default limit of 60% in a 4GB system.

Again, and important, until 9.1.2 comes out, you could use this macro on machines with more than 4GB of memory.

Public Sub AssignImageMemoryUsageLimitPcnt()

Dim dUsageLimitPcnt As Double = CDbl(InputBox("Image memory usage limit (%):", "AssignImageMemoryUsageLimitPcnt","0"))

If dUsageLimitPcnt < 2 OrElse dUsageLimitPcnt > 95 Then

MsgBox("Usage Limit must be between 2 and 95%.  No change made.",,"AssignImageMemoryUsageLimitPcnt")

Exit Sub

End If

Dim myRM As McResourceManager = ThisApplication.ResourceManager

myRM.SetMemoryLimit(mcMemoryType.mcmtImageMemory, dUsageLimitPcnt)

End Sub 'AssignImageMemoryUsageLimitPcnt

After 9.1.2 comes out, this macro is no longer needed.