Home Image-Pro Automation (Macros, Apps, Reports)
Options

How is the best way to name project files to track version changes?

All --

I am having a problem working out the best way to change the name of a project or the files within a project so that I can tell what version of file is in use.

I have a project that has generated the following files:

ABC V1A Application.designer.vb
ABC V1A Application.resx
ABC V1A Application.vb
ABC V1A Calibration.IQC
ABC V1A Module.vb

(ABC has replaced the customer specific NDA information)

Since the customer has V1A and some changes need to be made, I would like to change everything from V1A to V1B or V2A but I find there are many ways to do this that break the links between the files or that eliminate the ORIGINAL FILE and only keep the NEW FILE.

What is the best way to approach this issue from the PROJECT DESIGN perspective and the PRACTICAL USAGE perspective.

Thanks.

-- Matt

Comments

• Options
    Matt,

I think that the easiest would be to use "Save Project As" in the file menu.

The trick is that when you get prompted for the new project name you also have to remember to specify (and create most likely) the parent folder, say ABC V1B. Then you browse to there and select ABC V1B as the project name.

Otherwise we typically use packaged projects to share code with other people. These are self contained and easier to rename.

Pierre
  • Options
    Pierre --

Thank you for your suggestion regarding SAVE PROJECT AS.

I'll think I've tried that but approach but I had a problem with the PROJECT WORKBENCH complaining it did not understand the MACRODIR fuction within a MODULE that was inside the project's IPX file.

I'll give it another try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

-- Matt