Home Image-Pro General Discussions
Options

Linkage between CALIBRATION + ANGLE OFFSET and AREA + BOUNDING BOX WIDTH (or HEIGHT)

All --

I've been approached by a PREMIER CUSTOMER to measure features that are located along an edge that is not necessarily horizontal or vertical in an image.  For lack of a better example, imagine measuring pot holes in a road that runs through a rolling landscape.

The PREMIER CUSTOMER can capture the CROSS-SECTION IMAGE of the "pot holes" and the the "pot holes can be identified by PREMIER but measuring their depth is an issue.

Since some "pot holes" are large and shallow, the PREMIER AREA LENGTH of the "pot hole" is not always the depth.  Since the "pot holes" are irregular shapes, neither the PREMIER AREA WIDTH or HEIGHT seem like the right measurement either.

The measurements that look the most promising are

PREMIER AREA BOUNDING BOX WIDTH
    and
    PREMIER AREA BOUNDING BOX HEIGHT

The issue with these measurements is that they are oriented along the X / Y axis of the image.  I thought a solution to this would be to find the INCLINE of the "road" at the location of the "pot hole" and then change the

CALIBRATION + ANGLE OFFSET and AREA

to match and then one of BOX WIDTH or the BOX HEIGHT would be the POT HOLE DEPTH.

Unfortunately it seems that the BOUNDING BOX measurements are not linked to the ANGLE OFFSET.  This is shown in the two EXAMPLE SCREEN CAPTURES that I have submitted with this QUESTION.  These two examples show 10 identical squares that are changing orientation but with BOUNDING BOX measurements that do not change with the CALIBRATION + ANGLE OFFSET.

Can someone please suggest:

** a way to link BOUNDING BOX measurements with the ANGLE OFFSET
    or
    ** an alternate way to make this measurement

This measurement needs to be made dozens of times per image and the images are large so the method / mechanism needs to be reasonably efficient.

Thanks.

-- Matt

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Matt,

Bounding box doesn't take into account angle offset.

I can suggest 2 solutions:

1. Rotate the image and then measure.
    2. Use Calipers measure that provides an array of caliper values for different angles. I've attached the screen shot that shows Object Window with this measure. The issue with that that you have to use macro to extract the value from specific angle.

Regards,

Yuri

Answers

• Options
    Yuri --

Thank you for the response.

If BOUNDING BOX cannot be connected with SPATIAL CALIBRATION ANGLE OFFSET then I think the best option for this project is a version of your SUGGESTION #1.  Since the images are large and since the objects can be at multiple angles, I think the appropriate procedure is to:

-- For each object:
    ---- Find the BOUNDING BOX around an object
    ---- Select an ROI around the object using the BOUNDING BOX
    ---- Copy the ROI
    ---- Paste the ROI into a new IMAGE A
    ---- Create IMAGE B by rotating IMAGE A by an appropriate angle to orient the BOUNDING BOX HEIGHT with the OBJECT DEPTH
    ---- Measure the BOUNDING BOX DEPTH
    ---- Record BOUNDING BOX DEPTH
    ---- Close IMAGES A and B

If I could set the CALIPER ANGLE, I think that your suggestion #2 could work for me.  Since it seems that NUM ANGLES is the only control on the CALIPER TOOL I don't think your suggestion #2 will work for this project.

Thanks again for your response.

-- Matt
  • Options
    Matt,

It draws bounding boxes based on object orientation. It will visually show if the orientation is found correctly.

Yuri
  • Options
    Yuri --

I saw that post / discussion and I have downloaded the IPX file.

I'm looking forward to working with it.

I think it will provide a good example for this application.

Thanks.

-- Matt