Home Image-Pro General Discussions
Options

Frame Rate with MP5 (QImaging MicroPublisher 5)

Several customers have noted decreased frame rates of the live image of the MP5 using CI9 in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit machines and Premier 32 or 64 bit, as compared to previous experiences with Plus ver 7. I tested this today on one customer machine (both Premier 32 and 64) and found that at full res (2560 X 1920) the live frame rate was about 3fps, which is too slow to do Live Tiling. I also ran the camera in QCapture Suite, and while the frame rate is not reported, the live image seemed consistent with the live image in Premier. However, this customer insists that he can achieve 10fps in full res in Image-Pro Plus 7 using CI7 (I could not verify this). This customer is running a Win 7 Pro 64-bit desktop with i5-3570K processor with 16GB RAM, and all the MC and Q drivers are current. Does this IPP7 scenario seem plausible? 

There are other issues: in Premier 32 the choices for Bit Depth in color are 24-bit and 36-bit. In Premier 64 the choices are 24-bit and 30-bit. Also, there are various choices available in Camera Options in Premier 32, but none in Premier 64 (like no background subtraction, etc).

Thanks, Dave

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓

Dave,

The frame rate you are seeing with full resolution set for preview in Premier is accurate for all products. In IPP7, it is likely that the live preview was set to either RTV resolution (which does provide a full frame image) or another smaller resolution by binning while the capture resolution was set for full frame. It is possible to set the preview resolution in Premier to RTV or a smaller resolution while still capturing at full resolution by clicking on the Display Advanced Capture Settings checkbox at the bottom of the capture panel and setting the resolution on the Capture tab to full frame and to one of the smaller resolutions on the Preview tab. Another aspect that affects preview speed would be the color interpolation selection, located in the Color section on the Settings tab. Setting the color interpolation for preview to bilinear would provide the fastest preview frame rate.

The Premier 32 installation must be using QImaging CI7, which is the IPP7 capture interface that is supported in Premier 32 only, which is why there are differences. The bit depth choice was made more accurate for the CI9, since the MP5 camera provides 10-bits of data per color channel or 30-bit color. This 30-bit data is contained within a 36-bit color image in the application and when stored in a file. This was always the case, the CI7 was using the image bit depth as the value rather than the actual camera bit depth value.

The QImaging CI7 does support some camera options that are not available currently in the QImaging CI9. If those options are necessary, I would recommend using Premier 32 with the QImaging CI7.