Home Image-Pro Plus General Discussions
Options

Is it possible to separate objects of the same class into two subclasses?

I am working on quantifying the fraction of subcutaneous and visceral fat from MRI images using the Image Pro Plus software. It is impossible to separate the two based on threshold (both are the same white color), so I was wondering if you could select certain objects to change them to another class. Is this possible? If not, do you have any suggestions for other plausible solutions besides manually turning all of one of the subclasses off and then back on?

Thanks for the help!

Best Answer

• Options
    edited August 2016 Answer ✓
    BRATLIFF --

If I understand your question correctly you are wanting to FIND OBJECTS based on a THRESHOLD and then CLASSIFY the OBJECTS based on a MEASUREMENT.

IMAGE-PRO PLUS does have the FEATURES and FUNCTIONS to perform that work.

Please see the FIRST SCREEN CAPTURE below.

In this image the SPOTS.TIF DEMO IMAGE was THRESHOLDED and COUNTED using the AUTO DARK OBJECTS OPTION.

The COUNT SIZE + MEASURE + SINGLE VARIABLE CLASSIFICATION was used to create a 5 CLASS STRUCTURE based on AREA.

If you want to do this based on a USER INTERACTION with the image, one way to do that would be illustrated by the SECOND SCREEN CAPTURE BELOW where:

MASK A = ALL SPOTS
    MASK B = SPOTS GROUP A - SPOTS GROUP C and multiplied by .25
    MASK C = SPOTS GROUP C (CREATED BY MASK A - MASK B ) and multiplied by .75
    MASK D = ALL SPOTS (GROUP B INTENSITY = 63, GROUP C INTENSITY = 127)
    MASK D DUPLICATE = COUNTED on AUTO BRIGHT with SINGLE VARIABLE CLASSIFICATION based on INTENSITY.

An IMAGE-PRO PLUS MACRO could be written to automate either procedure.

I hope this information is helpful.

-- Matt

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Answers

• Options
    It can be quite easily done in Premier, but it's not exposed in IP Plus. 
    You can try using Single Variable Class or Auto Classification to see if your objects can be classified like this. You can also toggle visibility of objects using the "Toggle Objects..." item in the Edit menu.

Yuri

• Options
    Thank you both!

• Options
    Matt -

I am having a bit of trouble following the steps you took in your "USER INTERACTION" process. Could you please elaborate your processes to create the various images/masks? 

Thanks!

Ben

• Options
    Ben --

I think holding a WEBEX MEETING to show you would be more efficient.

My CONTACT INFORMATION is registered in the FORUM and is also below.

Please let me know if I can assist further.

-- Matt

Matthew M. Batchelor
    Alces Imaging and Automation, LLC
    2906 Blue Wind Court Houston, TX 77084
    Phone – 281-646-7477
    Fax – 281-599-8780
    E-Mail – matthew.batchelor@alces.us