Home Image-Pro General Discussions

help with image to image registration, optical density measurements

Hi Everyone!

I used Image Pro Plus about 8 years ago to do some fairly simple image to image registration and optical density measurements from hand drawn regions of interest. Our lab has since upgraded to Image Pro Premier and I'm trying to figure out how to do these things again. I'm working with stained slides of human brain and spinal cord tissue (stained with things like luxol fast blue for myelin, bielschowsky for axons). The slide sections are serial (or close to serial) and scanned as high-resolution tiff images using a back-lit scanner. This is what I'm hoping to accomplish:

1. register the images to one another. In Image Pro Plus I did this by placing seed points (up to 10 of them) on the 'base' and 'source' images and then the 'source' image would be registered to the base image. There were options about how to do the registration (ie if I wanted to use translation, rotation, scaling, etc). 

2. draw regions of interest on one image and save them (I think I can hopefully figure this step out)

3. load those regions of interest onto each image and output the mean optical density of those various areas. I recall having to calibrate each image before doing this. 

Very sorry if these are basic questions but any advice would be helpful. Can anyone point me in the right direction?  

Very best wishes,
Corree

-- 
University of British Columbia

www.mripathology.ca | @mripathology

Department of Radiology | Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
International Collaboration on Repair Discoveries (ICORD)
Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health
Blusson Spinal Cord Centre
ICORD, 818 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver BC V5Z 1M9 Canada
Tel: 1-604-675-8855 | Fax: 1-604-675-8849 | email: corree@physics.ubc.ca

Answers

• Hi Corree,

I will try to help you with Premier:

1. Registration in Premier is done in Image Compare window (Process tab, Combine group). You can add 2 images to this window and place registration points (Registration ribbon group, Points dropdown, Show points, Use lines,...). Then you choose registration method (Affine, Thin plate spline,...) and click the Register button. (check Help for more details).

2-3. In Premier you can draw measurement polygons directly (without Aoi), just use tools on Measure tab. The Intensity Mean for every polygon will be reported in the Data Table (you have to add Intensity measurement to the list in the Types dropdown).

You can also create Intensity calibration (Capture tab, Intensity group, Create drop down, Intensity Calibration). You create Optical Density calibration type.

Be sure that you are using the latest 9.3 version of Premier.(if necessary update it from the MediaCy Product Updates page).

Regards,

Yuri