Home Image-Pro Automation (Macros, Apps, Reports)

Managing Projects

I packaged my app and saved the '.ipx' file in c:/temp. I thought that I would continue to make changes to the original files, but I find that when I make changes, it is the packaged file in C:/temp which is modified. This raises the following questions:

Can I continue to work on the packed file or should I unpack it? (if so then how do I unpack it, and where does it get unpacked to?).
How can I move the packaged file to a different file and re-open it (e.g. move it to 'c:/myapp'). When I try it seems to get lost.
What is the best way to deliver the app to my customer.

Best Answers

• Answer ✓
    Paul,

You have to load IPX file to Premier and make the project active in Project Workbench to enable Save and Unpack functions.

Yuri
  • Answer ✓
    Paul,

Just to be clear and avoid any unnecessary confusion, you usually never need to worry about unpacking a project package as it gets updated as you make changes to it in Premier. This is also the easiest way to share project with others. The only case where you would need to unpack it is if you wanted to access one of its contained files individually.

Pierre
  • Answer ✓
    Paul,

Regarding the issue with grayed out "Save As". Most controls in the file menu handle "Active" document (project, file,...), so if you don't have any project loaded to Premier, there is no Active project and the button is grayed out. You just need to load IPX file to Premier and make sure that this project is Active (in case you have multiple projects loaded) to use the Save and Save As buttons.

Yuri

Answers

• Paul,

As soon as you saved IPX file and then open it and modify in Premier all the changes are saved to IPX file itself (it's a ZIP file).

You can Unpack the IPX file using File | Save | Unpack Project package menu item of the Project Workbench. You will be prompted to select a folder. Then you can unload IPX and load IPP to work with unpacked project.

IPX files are self contained and also include additional files, such as options. When you send the IPX to a customer all he has to do is to open the file in Premier, it will extract all files to the right locations (based on user login) and the macro should work properly.

I typically work with IPP file and package the project to IPX only before distributing it, in that case the latest versions of all additional files are picked up and packaged into the project.

Yuri

• I removed the project from the project explorer in the project workbench. Now I want to unpack the ipx file using File | Save | Unpack Project package menu item of the Project Workbench (as in your message). But File/Save is greyed out (see attached). What should I do?

• Hi Paul,

You can change the IPX extension to ZIP and then access the files directly in Windows Explorer or some other ZIP file reader.

Pierre
  • Hi Yuri & Pierre
    Thanks for your help with this, don't know why I am finding it so hard. Why was my 'Save As' greyed out? I can now unzip the ipx file but not sure where to put the files. Do I need to create a sub-folder in the 'scripts' folder. 
    However the good news is that I have managed to move the IPX file to another folder and then managed to re-load it. So I will continue to work on the zipped IPX file in it's new location, that works for me. Then I can send the project to my customer and they just have to open it in the 'apps' menu. 
    Hope that is sensible.
  • thanks, that's very helpful