Home Image-Pro General Discussions

Merge object,

HI all, 

Image Pro had a nice function that allowed to draw an object around a lot of other measured objects (e.g. bias) and then merge the large with the underlying first measured objects. This way cleaning up was very simple by using a size restriction. 

I could not find any equivalent in Image Pro Premier. Is there one I overlook or cannot find? 
Many thanks

Daniel

Answers

• Hi Daniel,

Please check the Merge button on the Measure tab:

Yuri
  • Hi Yuri, 

Thanks I found that one... but not what I need. Maybe I expressed myself not well.
    I do not want to manually select object (I'd grow too old...). I want to draw an object around all those you selected and then merge. 
    Or is there a way I can easily select subgroups of objects? E.g. within a second ROI I could draw around the bias objects or something like that? It needs to be free polygon. 

Best

Dan
  • So in previous version I could draw an ROI like in the right image, convert to Object and then it was kicked out by size restriction. Could get rid of any kind of bias very easily. (this is just an example, what I measure is somewhat less simple...)

Hope this explains it. 

Thx

Daniel
  • edited August 2019
    Daniel,

If you want to exclude some areas from counting, you can do it by drawing ROIs defining areas you want to count, you can combine multiple ROIs with XOR:

You can also just select objects on the image (using Net selection) and then delete them.

Yuri
  • ...but HOW do I select the objects in the inner or outer ROI, only? The ROIs and the objects beneath in the second layer are not connected. In the Count tab I just see one number for all objects. So how to delete? 
    What do I miss here? 

• Hi Daniel,

You should draw ROI first and then execute Count. The objects will be counted only in areas inside the ROI mask (non-green).

Yuri
  • ......well that means a good function is missing. It's not about knowing before the count, it's about cleaning up counts... 
    The simple 'ROI to object' was very useful. So there is no way to freely or anyhow easily select groups of objects that were counted....

Thanks for bothering., 

Daniel
  • You can convert ROIs to measurement objects using Features Manager, but it's not necessary if you want to draw objects manually as it's already possible directly using Measurements Polygon tool.

If you want to exclude objects after Count using manually drawn exclusion area, you can draw a new ROI (with XOR option) and execute Count again.

Also, you can just select multiple objects and delete (which was not possible in Image-Pro Plus).

Yuri
  • 2019-08-22-101724

dhavas --

Please see my illustration below and let us know if this illustrates your challenge.

In this illustration
    • 111 is an original image with 3 DARK OBJECTS
    • 222 is the same image with 3 FEATURES (A, B, C) found by THRESHOLD + COUNT and an ROI to illustrate the USER INPUT for the CORRECTION
    • 333 is the same image with 2 FEATURES (A and BC)
    If this is a reasonable illustration of the INPUT and OUTPUT that you are looking for, I believe I can illustrate at procedure that will take you from INPUT to OUTPUT.

Please let me know.

I hope this information is helpful.

-- Matt

• Hi Matt, 

Just saw your answer - sorry for not checking it earlier. 
    Yes basically this is the problem, So I would count and then use an ROI to include objects I dislike (let's say in this case B and C) and then make an object of it that is simply excluded by the current maximal size setting (object area). 
    But the problem is in truth a bit more complicated. 

If I'd use a new XOR Roi, as Yuri suggested, then I would need to remeaure everything to exclude objects, beside that drawing an XOR ROI suiting to a free form ROI that was drawn from a rater before and that I reload from file is not really easy and clean.
    For my measurements I often use complex filtering, exclusions etc... and when I have the objects I want to have measured I close modified images and project stored object outlines onto the reloaded original. That's the point where I want to make such exlusions WITHOUT measuring new (otherwise I'd have to draw XOR ROI, store and run the entire process with filtering and pipapo that can take up to 30 minutes for one large image on XOR ROI again). And we are talking about thousands of images and if just 1% of the images would be measured with some bias I can't get rid of, we are talking about weeks of waiting within a year. So that's not really feasible. 

Also not working is drawing a second ROI and convert ROI to object, since it will just store another large object and not eliminate the objects measured before below this new ROI (it will just add, since now object in object is supported (parent child). It would work only if drawn before the count and cannot be used after the count. At least as far as I tested it. 

In the end I believe this one very simple and useful function is missing, which was drawing an ROI, convert it to an object eliminating all objects within the ROI and then simply exlude by size (would now be Apply ranges, formerly just the 'measure' that was also very useful). 

I  am thinking of a workaround using the coordinates, thus checking the coordinates of each object and delete it singly if having coordinates with the new drawn ROI. However, that might be time consuming when measuring 100k objects and more. Maybe you could bury out the underlying code for the former function? It was working effectively and fast...

Thanks

Dan

• UHHHHHH F...... sh....

1 minute after posting that I found the solution..... from Yuri's posts. 

So it is drawing the ROI (or direclty an object), add to Region Measurements in the Feature Manager. 

Then selecting the objects in the Measure Tab pressing Ctr while going around with the mouse cursor. Then apply filters. 
    However, it is not that clean  as the old version, since selecting the multiple objects with the mouse cursor just works as rectangle.... But of course most can be captured and some others can be added singly. 

Cheers

Dan