Home Image-Pro Automation (Macros, Apps, Reports)

Variable user input for App

Dear Forum,

I am trying to create an App that automates cell counts and classifications. The loop macro in my App currently always looks for a specific .iqo and .lcl file for segmentation and classification, which have to be overwritten for different cell types and only allow to store one setting at a time. However, I'd like to allow users to put their specific .iqo and .lcl file name into the app, and the loop subsequently uses this for all images. This way many setting files can be saved and accessed.
I presume there is a way of telling the macro to look for a user input within the app. For example, the user can write 'example.iqo' in a text box and the macro looks for that file within the software's folders. Or maybe there could be a dropdown menu for all available files in a folder. I've not used variables in Image-Pro so any guides or helping documents would be very useful.

Thank you!
Henri

Answers

• edited March 2020
    Hi Henri,

Yes, it is possible to create an app dialog with multiple input controls, which could be used to define data for your macro. There are many apps on our app center that can be used as examples.
    I've attached a simple app that shows how to pass context of Text boxes to the macro.

The app uses the following code to pass the data from text boxes and numericUpDown controls to macro:
        Private Sub button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object,ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles button2.Click
            CollectData(textBox1.text,textBox2.text,numericUpDown1.Value)
        End Sub

The same way you can pass IQO file name or other parameters.
    You can pass the data as function parameters or using global variables.

You can check the code of more complex apps to see how to implement file browsing or folder selection:
    https://www.mediacy.com/support/imagepro/appcenter/parent-child-analysis-application-detail
    https://www.mediacy.com/support/imagepro/appcenter/wound-healing-application-detail 

Yuri
  • Thanks for the help so far, Yuri. I'm still a bit stuck unfortunately.

Regarding the text box input, I've created an app with only 1 text box and a script that should open an .isg file, which is determined by the textbox.

This is the UI from the App (1 text box and a button to start my script:
    Private Sub textBox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object,ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles textBox1.TextChanged
        End Sub

Public Sub button2_Click(sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles button2.Click
            openiqo()
        End Sub

This is the script to open my .isg file. I've tried using (textBox1.text) as the input from the text box, but I'm pretty sure the syntax is wrong.
    Public Function openiqo() As SimpleScript
            openiqo = New SimpleScript
            Dim image1

With Application.DocumentCommands.ActiveImage(openiqo)
                .Run(image1)
            End With

With Measure.SmartSegmentation.RecipeCommands.Open(openiqo)
                .FileName = ThisApplication.Path(mcPathType.mcptConfigurationFiles) & (textBox1.text)
                .FilterIndex = 1
                .Settings = Nothing
                .FilterInput = True
                .Run(image1)
            End With

End Function

Henri
  • Hi Henri,

You cannot access textbox1 from different file (Module1.vb), you have to pass the value from App1.vb, like this:

Public Sub button2_Click(sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles button2.Click
            openiqo(texbox1.text)
        End Sub

and modify the macro adding an input parameter

Public Function openiqo(filename as string) As SimpleScript
            Dim image1

.Run(image1)
            End With

.FileName = ThisApplication.Path(mcPathType.mcptConfigurationFiles) & (filename)
                .FilterIndex = 1
                .Settings = Nothing
                .FilterInput = True
                .Run(image1)
            End With

End Function

Yuri
  • Hi Yuri, 

Thanks, this works well! Just trying to simplify this further, would it be possible to automatically read the content of the text box and run the script (if it exists)?

Every time I type in the text box, I get an error until I have the full name of the file (which makes sense). Is there a way to say 'ignore error until filename exists' or 'only run openiqo after pressing enter in textbox'?
       Public Sub textBox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object,ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles textBox1.TextChanged

openiqo(textbox1.text)

End Sub

Thanks
    Henri
  • 2020-03-31-112302

Henri --

I think there are multiple ways to handle the issue that your last question references.
    1. On Error Resume Next
      -- This will handle the ERROR and proceed without causing an issue.
    2. TRY CATCH FINALLY
      -- This can handle the error and act accordingly
    3. Create a BUTTON for the OPENIQO STATEMENT and use the TEXTCHANGED STATEMENT to color code the textbox GREEN if the IQO FILE EXISTS or YELLOW if it does not.
    4. You can also use the DOUBLECLICK EVENT to trigger the CODE that includes the OPENIQO FUNCTION
    5. You can INVENTORY the IQO FILES and put a list of IQO FILES in a DROP DOWN BOX so your user does not have to type (and maybe typo) the name of an IQO FILE.
    I hope this information is helpful

-- Matt
  • Hi Henri,

Another way to handle that situation is by using a global variable. 
    You can define a global variable in Module1.vb:

Public Module Module1

Public IQOFileName As String

and set it in the App:
    Public Sub textBox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object,ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles textBox1.TextChanged
           Module1.IQOFileName=textbox1.text
    End Sub
    Then use this variable in the macro:
    Public Function openiqo() As SimpleScript
            Dim image1

.Run(image1)
            End With

.FileName = ThisApplication.Path(mcPathType.mcptConfigurationFiles) & (IQOFileName)
    .FilterIndex = 1 .Settings = Nothing .FilterInput = True .Run(image1) End With End Function
    Regards,

Yuri

• Thanks Yuri and Matt! (Sorry for the late reply!)
    I can't stress enough how much your input has helped me understand the software more.

I've tried      On Error Resume Next     and  TRY CATCH FINALLY , but was still getting error messages when typing.

In the end, I went with Yuri's method and modified it slightly. I used an openFileDialog to display all .isg files within that folder in a ComboBox.. Lastly, the macro opens the .isg file that was chosen in the combobox.

I'll put parts of the code below, in the hopes this would be useful for someone in the future.

Thank you,
    Henri

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    'Public variable: Directory for config files
    Public myIsgDir As String
    'Chosen config .isg file
    Public myIsgFile As String

Create 'Browse' button 
     Private Sub button3_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object,ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles button3.Click

FolderBrowserDialog1.ShowDialog()
          Module1.myIsgDir = FolderBrowserDialog1.SelectedPath

ComboBox1.Items.Clear

For Each file As String In System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(Dir, "*.isg")
    ComboBox1.Items.Add(System.IO.Path.GetFileName(file))

Next

End Sub

Display files in combobox:
    Private Sub comboBox1_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object,ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles comboBox1.SelectedIndexChanged 

Module1.myIsgFile=combobox1.text

End Sub

In Macro:
    With Measure.SmartSegmentation.RecipeCommands.Open(NewMacro3)
                .FileName = Module1.myIsgDir & "\" & Module1.myIsgFile
                .FilterIndex = 1
                .Settings = Nothing
                .FilterInput = True
                .Run(doc1)
            End With
  • I have tried using the following line of code to open a folder browser dialog and when i load the code I get an "Expecting a valid data type" error at the first '(' of the line. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong? 
    FolderBrowserDialog1.ShowDialog()

• casewolf81,

FolderBrowserDialog1 is an object in Henri's macro, you, probably, don't have it.
    You can search internet for a sample how to open File Open dialog in VB.NET and use it in your macro.

Yuri