Home Image-Pro General Discussions

Will IMAGE-PRO open a MULTI LAYER TIFF from PHOTOSHOP . . .

2021-02-25-171526

All --

I have a MULTI LAYER TIFF IMAGE that is generated by PHOTOSHOP.

When this image is opened in IMAGE-PRO, I see the same view of this image that I see in PHOTOSHOP (with TRANSPARENCIES ETC) but I do not seem to have access to the individual layers.

Is there a way to open a MULTI LAYER TIF IMAGE from PHOTOSHOP that will allow access to the layers?

The SCREEN CAPTURES below illustrate the issue and I have attached the EXAMPLE MULTI LAYER TIFF FILE in the example.

Thanks.

-- Matt

Best Answers

• Answer ✓
    Hi Matt,

I checked your image using AsTiffTagViewer and can see that it contains only 1 frame. That frame is opened in Image-Pro.

Photoshop saves layers (and all other private data) into proprietary TIFF tag (37724), which is not handled by Image-Pro.

Yuri
  • Answer ✓
    The TIF file has also two custom tags: "photoshop" (34377) and 700, holding 2400 and 4649 bytes, respectively.  These tags appear to hold metadata related to the image in some format known to Photoshop, but neither is large enough to hold an image layer as image data.  So the TIF image you posted appears to have the three layers blended by Photoshop.  Photoshop presumably also has facilities for isolating and outputting each layer as an individual image file.

Answers

• 2021-02-26-170154

Yuri --

Thank you for looking into this.

I don't know what voodoo Adobe Photoshop is using but there are definitely 3 layers in the

3 AA BB CC MASKS SMALL.tif

image file.

Here is capture that shows the content of each layer.

Being able to read the image would have been good but saving the image as shown in the 3rd pane below gave me the information in IMAGE-PRO to do the task needed.

"If At First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again!"

Thanks again.

-- Matt

• 2021-03-01-142850

Yuri --

Thank you for the additional information.

I did a bit more GOOGLING and found a file at DIGITALDOG.NET named

TIFFvsPSD.pdf

that I have attached.  This document discusses PHOTOSHOP, their MULTI LAYER PSD FILE FORMAT, and their MULTI LAYER TIF FILE FORMAT.

I have found a method that will give me the info in IMAGE-PRO presented by the image generated by PHOTOSHOP.

Thanks again.

-- Matt