Home Image-Pro General Discussions

Image Analysis of Bubbles with Particles Attached to its Surface

Hi Everyone, 

I have a question regarding the processing of a series of images through Image Pro. As I am new to the software, I am not too familiar with all the functions available.

From the attached file, you would be able to see that it is a series of consecutive images, where a bubble is rising through the tank with particles attached to the bottom of it throughout this process.

As the bubble is partially covered by particles, what I would like to do is isolate the surface of the bubble from the particles, and measure its exact dimensions such as its major axis, minor axis, equivalent diameter, centre of the bubble, etc. 

A step-by-step process on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated!

Answers

• Hi syamsundar_menon,

I don't know if you attached the right sequence, but the attached image can be measured straight forward. You can use Manual threshold segmentation to segment the object of interest and use the appropriate measurements from the Types dropdown:

I've also attached the measurement options file I used.

You can find multiple tutorials in our media library that explain Image-Pro tools: https://www.mediacy.com/support/imagepro/media

Regards,

Yuri

• edited August 2022
    Hi @YuriG  

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes, I am familiar with the manual threshold option actually. 

I would just like clarify further on what I meant. 

The above image is a picture of a bubble with particles attached to it at the bottom. 

What I am looking to do is to determine the actual surface of the bubble when there are no particles attached to it.

So basically, I am looking to RECONSTRUCT the ACTUAL BUBBLE SURFACE with NO PARTICLES COVERING it. 

Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards, 

Syam 

• Hi Syam,

You can apply morphological filters to smooth the boundary of the bubble, for example, after applying Open 3x3, 1pass and then Close 11x11, 2 passes the outline of the bubble looks like that:

Yuri