Home Image-Pro General Discussions

NORMALIZE ILLUMINATION without EDF . . .

2017-07-19-134616

All --

If I have a STACK / SEQUENCE of IMAGES of similar samples but the IMAGES have different INTENSITY RANGES.

I would like to process the IMAGES to get them into the same INTENSITY RANGE.

Is there a mechanism / tool within PREMIER which will NORMALIZE the ILLUMINATION LEVEL within multiple images?

This seems to be an OPTION within the EDF TOOL but I do not see a reference to NORMALIZE ILLUMINATION in the HELP that is not connected to EDF.

This is illustrated in the SCREEN CAPTURE below where the 1s would be the BEFORES and the 2s would be the AFTERS.  This would allow the IMAGES to be TILED without ugly transitions between TILES and / or the same THRESHOLD to find the OBJECTS in the AFTERS.

Thanks in advance.

-- Matt

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Best Answer

• edited July 2017 Answer ✓
    Hi Matt,

Look at the Process tab, Combine group, second button dropdown - there is Normalize button - try that. It also has an option "By gain and offset", which will do normalization by image mean and deviation of intensity, when it's off, just by mean.

Also, you can define just ROI for doing normalization of the whole sequence. The sequence is normalized by the intensity of the active frame.

Yuri

Answers

• 2017-07-19-161239

Yuri --

Thank you for directing me to this TOOL.

It looks like this TOOL is documented on page 133 of the HELP PDF.  For some reason my search did not find it.  Perhaps I was looking for NORMALIZE ILLUMINATION.

I'll see if this addresses the issue.

My temporary work around was to do a

ADJUST + DISPLAY + BEST FIT + APPLY

on each image before working with them as a SET.

I'll see if the NORMALIZE FRAMES TOOL performs better.

Thanks again.

-- Matt
  • Matt,

Reading your post again I realized that the goal of this normalization is to ensure proper TILING. In that case we have another dedicated tool.
    If you use Premier 9.3.1 or higher, there is Shading correction group in the Tiling view, which applies Shading correction and Intensity normalization to the tiles directly in the tiling view:

You can try that as well.

Yuri

• 2017-07-20-093106

Yuri --

Thank you for directing me to this TOOL.

I'll try it out and determine which works best for this application.

Thanks again.

-- Matt